Tuesday, December 6, 2016

The 12 Days of Fitmas Day 2!

The 12 Days of Fitmas Day 2!

Today's focus: cardio & nutrition 

Let’s talk cardio 

What defines a "cardio workout"?

Why is cardio an important part of the health and fitness equation?




Types of cardio:

low intensity, intervals, circuits, etc., running outdoors, running on a track, playing a sport, etc. 



My theories on cardio

Given that there are so many options for cardio workouts, I don’t like dictating what my clients do.  I do give guidelines, suggestions, and assistance, but I don't usually plan it out for my clients. I did put together a circuit workout (above), as well as a few other I found on Popsugar Fitness. 

  1. I try to structure my strength training workouts so that they do get, and keep, the heart rate up. 
  1. Two people might find they prefer a typical style. I don’t care if you choose to run outside, intervals on the treadmill, HIIT, or whatever. As long as you get it done. I also encourage clients to try all different kinds of cardio workouts. This is how you find what you like. 
  1. Cardiovascular fitness is a major key to reaching any health and fitness goals. I take all of my clients goals personally, and am always there for support, but at the end of the day, these goals belong to them only. I can not put it in the work for them. Giving guidelines and choices, puts the responsibility of getting it done on the individual.  

Let's talk nutrition


My top 3 beliefs/principals when it comes to healthy eating 
  1. Balance is key
I do not believe in removing any of the food groups from your diet. I think everything in moderation. I follow the guidelines set forth by the USDA @ www.myplate.org In a later blog, I will discuss how I apply these to my whole family
  1. Breakfast is golden: I get it. Mornings are busy. There is no need for your health to suffer though. A good breakfast will help keep you focused all day and help you make healthy food choices all day long.  One of my favorites is overnight oats. It's so versatile, filling, and you can knock out your fruit dietary needs for the day. 
  1. Family dinners: make it a habit
This may be old fashioned, but I believe having dinners together as a family make eating healthy much easier. 
Not only will this show your entire family that healthy eating is important, but you'll start thinking about what you're putting on your plate. 


No comments:

Post a Comment